Corns Should be Treated Swiftly


Corns tend to happen for a variety of reasons.  They have firm centers and are surrounded by inflamed skin that can occur on different parts of the toes and cause discomfort as they are exposed to increasing amounts of pressure. This condition forms from bone deformities and poorly fitting shoes (toes being exposed in tight spaces). Corns are either hard or soft. Those that are hard are found on the top of toes and soft versions are found in between toes and get their texture from the moist nature of that location, which in itself causes an increased susceptibility to infection.

Treatment for this condition includes:

·         Rubbing an infected corn with pineapple peel, oil of oregano or vinegar.

·         Reducing the amount of pressure placed on corns is also required to help eliminate them. Utilizing comfortable shoes will help to provide toes with more room with which to move and to diminish the chances of having the skin irritated from being pressed against the inside of them.

·         Custom orthotics help to absorb pressure and route it away from areas of the feet that are experiencing pain.

·         Covering the feet with an extra layer of protection, such as socks, can help to lighten the stress placed on the skin of feet when walking for long amounts of time.

·         When the above methods are not enough, surgery may be required to remove corns by cutting away dead skin and treating any underlying infections with antibiotic cream.

Corns tend to be a pain since they form on toes, which are generally pushed into tight places. Please contact us if your toes have corns that are causing discomfort or that have become infected. At the Performance Foot & Ankle Specialists, LLC, located in Waterbury 203-755-0489 & Newtown 203-270-6724, Connecticut, our podiatrist, Dr. Joel S. Segalman, DPM, can help to provide your feet with relief from pain caused by this condition via an in depth treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. So, take the time to make an appointment by calling our office at any of the two numbers listed above.